Yah I am a slacker who hasn't updated the blog in 2 weeks... sorry. :)
Mason started playing tball for the first time this spring. He had his first practice last week. We went as a family to watch and see how he did. Here's a bit of a play by play for you. First they had the kids run the bases, which he was good at because he does it after Jake's softball games. Then they split them up and put some of them in the field while the others practiced hitting off the tee. Mason is proudly standing in the infield when a HUGE dump truck goes down the road. He yells as loud as he can, "Daddy, did you see that dump truck?" I giggle and look at Jake, he's not quite as amused. A few seconds later another construction vehicle goes by and the same response. Turns out he's much more interested in construction vehicles than playing tball.
So then they switch and he gets to come up and bat. All those whiffle balls he hit so well off the plastic tee with the plastic bat at home didn't prepare him in anyway to hit a real ball with a metal bat. At one point Jake looked at me and said, "he's (expletive) horrible." I giggled again and said, well it's only the first day.
So fast forward to this week where he did much better. He actually fielded the ball a few times and looked like he knew what he was doing. A minor glitch did occur with the batting; turns onutn tee ball they actually pitch the ball to them and give them 3 chances to hit it before placing it on the tee. I was a bit confused since when I played tball it was tball because you actually hit off the tee. And turns out several of his teammates can actually hit the ball when it is tossed to them. Let's just say we need to work on Mason's swing, but he might have a bright future as a golfer!
To conclude let me tell you something we didn't know after day one and that is he's probaby the youngest kid on the team, he barely made the cut off and some of the kids on his team are getting ready to turn 6 and will be in 1st grade this fall, he won't even be in kindergarten for over a year. So he's team baby.
I think it is also important to note that although we made fun of his inability we really have no expectations other than he have fun. Jake taught him the most important thing is to have fun! I guess time will tell if he has any talent; but we realize that just because one or both parents are good at something that in no way means the kids will develop that skill. The running joke between Jake and I is that since we are an attorney and professor that we will just be happy if our kids graduate from high school... so I guess sticking with our mantra for life then him hitting a ball or two will make us proud!
I will try to remember to take pictures next week so you can see how cute it is with all the little guys and girls!
dude, i haven't studied philosophy since 1996
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment