
Ok when you first have a child there is one age that sticks in your mind that you KNOW will be the worst... two. Everyone has heard of the terrible twos afterall. Well as many of you mothers out there know, 2 really isn't that bad. In fact it should be called the terrible threes to be honest. So after dreading the twos but living through them and barely surviving the threes I had high hopes for the fours, even looked forward to them. Wow... someone should have warned me ahead of time that threes were easy compared to the fours. I have decided that I am going to warn all new mothers about the ferocious fours.
Who took my child and replaced it with the one that looks like my child but acts like someone else's? You know my child...the one that you could bribe into being good, or at least scare into behaving? The one who at least acknowledged that I raised my voice, said sorry, or looked at me when I was talking. He's gone, someone stole him. Is this a joke? Seriously, I have 3 kids 4 and under I don't need any more challenges, but such is life huh?
What is so bad about this child you ask? Well let me start off by saying, he is an ANGEL at school. His teachers have always told me if they all acted like him their job would be easy. I always laughed at that but was proud he saved his bad behavior for home. Now I am just angry. Angry that he can behave perfectly all day long but turns into another person at home. The problem is, I am onto him, I know he can be good I hear all about it... unfortunately I never get to experience it myself.
At Sutton's last pediatrician appointment I asked our dr. about four year old behavior. I told her I was noticing some serious attitude. She laughed and said, "Oh you wait, there will be times when you will think a teenage girl has taken over your little 4 year old's body." Boy was she right. If I could describe Mason in a few words I would say, "attitude, sassy, back talker, defiant, and argumentative." I swear he can't even talk to me without this certain sassy tone to his voice. The tone that makes me want strangle him. The tone that pushes me to the edge before I even get to speak a word in response to his latest demand.
If it isn't his way then he is livid, throws fits, screams at me, gives me ultimatums. A funny one from the other day... he asked for chips for breakfast and of course I said no. His response, "well if you won't let me have chips then I won't let you have chips." Apparently he thinks he has some control over those who really have control. I realize he is pushing his boundaries to see what he can get away with, he's learning independence. I am relatively sure I did the same thing to my parents (I often wonder why I am still alive...there must have been many times my mom wanted to kill me. I am sure she is enjoying every minute of my motherhood. I hope my kids have bad kids someday too. LOL). I realize it is very normal behavior but it's just so tiring day after day the same dialog. I swear, he says yes, just because I say no. I am sure it will end, one day when he is grown up and moved out, but until then I guess I will live by something I once heard a mother say, "I always love my kids, but sometimes I just don't like them." I have found myself more than once lately thinking this same exact thought.
A side note that is related and very timely: As I have posted before, Mason asks some interesting questions. Tonight on the way home from school Mason asked me, "mom, will you be happy when all 3 bugs grow up and move away?" Wow... I thought I only said that in my head, not outloud. ha ha ha. I said, "well yes and no Mason" "Yes because I will be happy you grew up and can be on your own, but it makes me sad that you are getting so big." I am trying to enjoy these days as I know they really are the good ones and it can only get worse...but I do find myself dreaming of retirement and the days ahead where my kids get to experience days that their kids act just like they did.
For now, go back up and look at the picture at the beginning of this post. That is Mason and his "attitude" this morning, he didn't want his picture taken. See the other well behaved boys? If I live through Sutton being 4; I think I will be able to accomplish anything :)
2 comments:
You're in trouble Rosie. He's not even the middle one. Good luck.
Ha you make 4 sound so wonderful! Isabelle has been rolling her eyes at us for a while now... so this is all REAL encouraging!! Sutton is looking so big in that last pic!! I think he be as tall as Little Man. :) We will see you Easter?
Post a Comment