Mason loves school and teachers love Mason. Ever since he has been 18 months old I have been told over and over how well behaved he is, how he is helpful and if all the kids were as good as him their jobs would be much easier. I must say it sort of makes me mad. Mad because the child they describe to me sounds nothing like the child I see at home, he talks back, he doesn't listen, he hates picking up, he whines... he's 4.
A few months ago Mason started attending a new preschool. His new teacher Miss Mary sends home a daily sheet that tells how his day was. It has a bunch of adjectives on it and she circles the ones that reflect how he acted. Everyday his sheet says: cooperative, good listener, respectful, happy, helpful, nice to my friends. And everyday Jake and I look at each other say... "there must be another Mason in that room."
Yesterday I got Mason's daily sheet and all the positive adjectives were circled but there was a 1/2 by the good listener. And she wrote comments that said "Mason was asked to stop talking during circle time but was not being a good listener. Otherwise a good day." It was kind of shocking at first and refreshing at the same time to know that it is my kid that she send notes home about... now if only he would act at home like he does at school we would all be happy. But Jake and I both agree it's better he act like that at school and bad at home than vice versa!
dude, i haven't studied philosophy since 1996
12 years ago
1 comment:
Would you like to see some of the comments from teachers about you when you were young? Um...the talking thing might be genetic.....
Post a Comment